Saturday, April 21, 2007

Maybe It's Genetic?

I had a very interesting and completely unexpected EVE-related experience today. I spent the afternoon at my brother's. Family from the midwest came out to the east coast and so pretty much the entire clan assembled for a get-together. My parents divorced when I was 13 and my Dad remarried about 12 years later, so in addition to my own two brothers who I grew up with, I also have a set of step-siblings, two brothers and a sister, as well as another, I dunno what you call it, step-brother by association...? His Mom and my Dad are all but legally married if you know what I mean.

The oldest of these kids is eighteen and getting ready to start college in the fall. Very smart, and as much of a computer geek as I am. Today, I'm wearing my EVE t-shirt and he comes in, sees my shirt, and tells me "EVE is the greatest game in the world.". Needless to say, I agree completely. We then spend the next hour or so talking EVE, while the rest of the family members who overhear parts of our conversation react much like we're two insane people talking nonsense.

James tells me that he stopped playing because he was getting podded too much (sound familiar?), and I tell him about EVE University and Agony Unleashed and that there are ways of helping oneself not to be quite so victimized, especially after the upcoming patch this Tuesday. Looks like E-Uni is about to get another recruit, and probably AU as well...if he doesn't have the needed ISK, I'll help him out as much as I can...I'm not exactly rolling in ISK myself just now, but I'll spare as much as I can to help get him back into it.

This was especially fun for me since James is the very first person I know in RL who I've discovered also plays EVE. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out in the near future...

Right now though, I think it's time to jump in-game and get those frig fittings and a few other things done...now that I know I absolutely need to have it all completely ready to go before Friday, since I seriously doubt I'm going to want to deal with it right after the dentist, I want to have it set up so that all I have to do on Friday is just show up on time and be ready to go. I did my little bullshit Level 2 mission earlier and then took the dessie back to the class staging station, so it's time to try to actually get something truly productive done in-game...before the pain pills catch up and make me stupid.

Yeah, maybe the Haagen-Daz Vanilla Fudge a day after major dental surgery wasn't such a smart idea after all...seemed like a good idea at the time, though.

No comments: