Saturday, March 3, 2007

Decisions, Decisions...

Yesterday when I logged in, Lucas Malbranque found me and asked if I'd like some help on my mission...he had a newly fitted ship he wanted to try. Together, we took on the last part of "Human Cattle", easing through it with nary a problem. Best of all was the great conversation...Lucas really knows Eve and his advice is invaluable to me. And, on top of all that, he left me enough ISK as a parting gift to easily purchase my Myrmidon!

Afterward I quickly called up the market panel to see the current prices, but as I was checking and discovering that yes, I could buy a Myrmidon now if I wanted to, it might be smarter to invest in the advanced learning skillbooks Lucas recommended I get first. On the other hand, were I to buy both of the books he recommended, I'd be only able to afford to buy, but not properly fit or insure, a Myrmidon. Hmmm....what to do, what to do?

Discretion, I've decided, is the better part of common sense in this case. I scrolled all the way down the panel and found the Clarity skillbook, priced at a little over four million ISK, and bought it. I've now just finished training that up to Level 3, and after I log in later I'll go buy and start training the other one (I can't think of the actual name of the skill just now. :/). I look at it this way: Since these skills allow me to train other skills faster, that's gotta be a useful advantage when I'm ready to move up to a Battlecruiser. It's worth the extra time running missions in a Cruiser to help ensure that I won't have to worry about it later.

Given how time is so artfully used to control progress in Eve, it's not a far stretch to imagine that a good rule of thumb to follow is that the longer you take to prepare for something in this game, the more likely you are to be successful at it. Therefore, I'm taking the more time-consuming but probably safer route of training these skills up and then recouping the ISK I'm spending to get them by just continuing to do what I've been doing for the last few days, before I take that plunge and get my Myrmidon.

In any case, this is now an entirely different prospect than it was just a day or two ago...I suspect things will begin to get more interesting in this game for me starting very soon.

No comments: