Wednesday, November 25, 2009

New Horizons

Well, I'm finally here, not for a visit, but to stay. As of this moment, my little Caldari shuttle is parked in my new home station, out in the wilds of 0.0.  It's interesting...the most difficult thing about the trip was remembering to bookmark all the spots accurately. I'm not quite sure I got all those system designations right. It really is much easier when they have actual names, even if they're weird names.

I met a few members of my new corp in a system near where I'd applied and together we headed into 0.0. During the trip we chatted on Teamspeak and it seems I've clearly lucked out yet again as far as picking a corp. These guys are cool.

I'm also a member of a pretty big alliance now, which is kind of new for me. I was a member of a pretty big alliance when I was with Eve University but really it wasn't much of an alliance, if I remember correctly, because the vast majority of the alliance members were in the same corp, E-Uni. The few who were not were in the Graduates (I think that's what they called themselves), a corp of former E-Uni students. For the most part, it was exactly the same people in corp and alliance chats and emails lists. This time, I think it's going to be a little different.

Already I know I'm going to be doing a lot of PvP. I also know I have a lot to learn about doing PvP well and about surviving in 0.0. Basically, I know that I pretty much have to change almost everything about the way I play this game now...and that's ok, in fact, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

All in all, I'm pretty damned excited about the whole thing. Good game, good people, good times. It's been a long time since I was this excited about EvE, or about any game really. It really feels like the final frontier.

One thing I intend on doing pretty much immediately now is ordering one of those New Eden map books. Now that's I'm out of high-sec it's suddenly a lot more important that I plan my travels carefully and being able to sit a map on my lap, make notes, and verify system names will be a big help.

Now it's finally time for me to get serious about playing this game. Pew-pew, here I come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're up for it, after a couple of months of PvP in 0.0, I'd be interested to see you re-visit your Piracy post and see if your opinions have changed, or if they are still the same.

Mdih Lihu said...

Good luck with your new corp.
Not sure if you have ombey's maps or not, they've become an almost permanent fixture for me and I recommend them.

http://www.ombeve.co.uk/

Rebecca Jai said...

Belamar, I may very well do that. I will admit that the comments on the piracy post did inspire me to put the wheels in motion sooner rather than later, but the truth is that I was ready.

Mdih, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen this one. Some very useful stuff here. I did order the CCP map book, but these will serve me well until they get here and maybe beyond that as well.

Interestingly, thanks to Ombey's maps I was able to determine exactly where I am now (I haven't been in-game since last night). I love that I'll actually have to work for it a little more now, I can't just pop out of a station and head off on my way like I used to do in high-sec.